Thursday, November 11, 2010

Wyatt's Tonsil surgery

About 2 months ago Wyatt ended up getting tonsilitis.  He was put on an antibiotic and went back 4 weeks later for his check up.  The Dr. said that his tonsils were still big but that we could just keep an eye on him for a while.  Well about a week ago he became a snoring fool.  He was snoring so loud we could hear him across the hallway in our room.  He had a hard time breathing.  Come to find out Logan said he has always snored, but not that loud.  Poor Logan probably hasn't been getting much sleep himself.  After calling and talking to the Dr. we decided it was probably best to have the tonsils taken out.  We pushed to get them done as soon as possible and lucky for us they set it up for the following week.  We pushed to have it done soon because we are taking the kids to Disneyland in 3 weeks (they don't know yet) and mostly so he can breath again and we can all get our sleep. Plus it's all done before the holidays.

THE NIGHT BEFORE THE SURGERY:  Wyatt knew what was going to happen the following morning and wasn't to worried about it yet.  We explained what Dr. Barlow was going to do and that he would feel alot better having them taken out.  As parents there is always that worry and concern with any surgery and we felt like we needed to give him a blessing to bring a little comfort to all of us.  Aaron ended up giving him a father's blessing and did an amazing job.  I won't write the whole prayer but these are just a couple important things that he had expressed.  He blessed him that he would have the strength during the surgery and be able to recover well.  That the Doctors would be fully focused knowing his needs and have steady hands.  I am so thankful to have the priesthood in the home.  It is such a strength and comfort to me.

THE DAY OF THE SURGERY:  As I woke up that morning I had some ease and just knew that we were doing the right thing and that everything was going to be okay.  As we were getting ready Wyatt started getting worried, and maybe he was nervous and a little scared too.  As I was putting his shoes on he started crying and telling me he didn't want the doctor to cut his throat.  I told him how he would be asleep and that the doctor just uses a "tool" to get those big bumps out of his throat.  He kept crying and so I asked him if we should say a prayer and ask Heavenly Father to help him.  His response as he is still crying was:  "but Heavenly Father is dead".  I had some explaining to do.  It was so cute though!  Here are the pics of that day.

The nurse took us back to the room to get him ready for the surgery.  They took his weight, blood pressure, temperature, etc.  He was liking the arm contraption.

 He thought it was pretty neat that he got to strip down to his undies to wear a tiger gown.

Then comes those great hospital socks.  He LOVED them!  I told him he could just wear his regular socks but heck no...he was diggin those red socks.

The day just kept on getting better and better as he kept on getting all these great things.  He was happy to get this teddy bear.  He has a spider man build a bear that used to be Logan's that he has taken over.  I told him he could bring 1 thing to the hospital with him and he wanted to bring that.  Unfortunately we were searching franticly for the spider man clothes to put on it and couldn't find it.  He ended up bringing a zuzu pet instead but that was set aside when the nurse gave him the bear.

The nurse showed Wyatt the cool mask that he gets to breath into and she even let him pick out some batman stickers to put on it.  He was finally ready to go back to surgery.  We gave him some hugs & kisses and it was off to the waiting room for us.  The waiting is the worst part.  That's when I start worrying but I brought my great book (catching fire) and the next thing I knew Dr. Barlow was done with the surgery.  He said it was a really good thing we took them out.  He had a little infection again and said that his tonsils were really big.  It was good to hear and comforting to know we made the right decision.
 
 This is right after the surgery when they bring ya to the recovery room.  He wasn't a happy boy!

All he wanted was his daddy.  The nurses said he just kept wanting his daddy as they were wheeling him to the room.  Such a good moment for Aaron.  When Kennady had her tonsils out all she wanted was me so I wasn't the least bit sad and let Aaron enjoy the moment.

So after Aaron and Wyatt had their moment the nurses had to make sure the I.V. was working and strap a cuff to his leg.  Everytime the nurses looked at Wyatt or vise versa he would pout his lips and start crying.  It was really cute and the nurses fell in love with him.  Who wouldn't right?  He kept on asking us to wipe his endless tears and boogies.  If we didn't do it right he would grab the tissue himself and wipe away the tears and say all better.  He is such a lovable kid.  He finally was able to catch some sleep.

He slept for about an hour and a half which was good.  He was able to keep his liquids down and recover a bit.  I did alot of reading and waiting.  We finally woke him up so the nurse could give him some pain meds and make sure he kept everything down for another 30 minutes.

The pain meds kicked in and he was back to the same old Wyatt I love.  He enjoyed his popcycle but really wanted a green one.  He'll have to enjoy the green jello I have waiting for him at home.  It's his favorite color.  He watched some cartoons and when the nurse went over the instructions and said we could go home Wyatt said he would just stay there and keep watching cartoons.  You know he is feeling pretty good when he wants to stay at the hospital.

Yay we finally get to go home.  We arrived at the hospital at 10am and it was 3:30pm when we were finally released.  It was a long day of just waiting but I am just grateful that we had no complications and everything went well.  The nurse had to walk us out so Wyatt got to enjoy the ride in a wagon.

LATER THAT NIGHT:  For the most part Wyatt was doing pretty good.  As long as we kept the pain meds in him he was wanting to play with friends and eat bread.  We were getting ready to take Wyatt up to bed when Aaron asked him if he was okay.  He said yes and went on to tell us a few things about the surgery.  How he liked the socks, how he woke up in a different room, etc.  This however took both Aaron & I back when he said that Jesus Christ held his hand.  Aaron and I looked at each other and both couldn't seem to say anything and our eyes filled up with tears.  Needless to say it will be something I will never forget.  I am thankful for the blessings the gospel brings and being able to rely and trust the spirit. 

1 comment:

jenna said...

Oh poor little guy! I didn't even realize he already had them taken out. Hope he is feeling better now.